TEST DON’T GUESS: an honest review of “Let’sGetChecked” an at-home testing service!
Over the years I have to admit that I have self-diagnosed a lot all thanks to Google! I have taken a lot of supplements that I didn’t know if I actually needed because I “thought” I was low in certain vitamins, etc… based on my self diagnosis. Honestly, I just never saw the need to go to the Doctor and get blood work done.
When I did start going to the Doctor to get tested I was annoyed because the Doctor’s office would have the the lab bill my insurance separately, therefore, I would get a bill from both offices and I WOULD have to call and get it all figured out! It was such a waste of time and headache!
I recently learned about “Let’sGetChecked” which is an AT HOME testing service and they don’t bill your insurance or send separate lab bills!
They have SO many tests available! They range from $99-$200 per test and cover all of our testing needs such as sexual health testing, women’s health, men’s health, and just overall wellness health as well.
I decided to give this Let’sGetChecked a try because I wanted to specifically order the COLON CANCER test. My love for health and wellness started because my digestion was extremely messed up. I could never go number 2… like ever. I was 21 years old, had a ton of cystic acne, and was taking antibiotics for AN ENTIRE YEAR. I knew nothing about gut or digestive health at all. I had no idea that the antibiotics were destroying my good gut bacteria, which led to severe constipation and cystic acne. I became obsessed with learning about gut health and overnight started to form healthier habits.
In addition to the above, I recently have had 2 deaths in the family as a result of colon cancer. Overall, I think that too many of us ignore the warning signs of colon cancer and we need to be proactive. Therefore, I ordered the colon cancer test to simply check-in on my colon health and also ordered the basic vitamin test and the kidney test to try out as well!
- The Basic Vitamin test will look at nutrient imbalances for folate, vitamin B12 and vitamin D which can cause your body to underperform. A Vitamin D deficiency can affect bone strength, calcium absorption and the prevention of osteoporosis. Deficiencies in vitamin D are also linked to seasonal adjustment disorder. Deficiencies in Vitamin B12 and Folate can affect the strength of red blood cells and metabolism thereby increasing your chances of suffering from anemia and fatigue.
- The Colon test can help identify the presence of cancerous or precancerous growths in the bowel by detecting blood that is invisible to the naked eye. This test detects human haemoglobin in the stool and so other sources of blood, such as from your diet will not cause a positive result. If you want to learn more about the signs & symptoms of colorectal cancer check out this article: https://letsgetchecked.
com/articles/the-signs-and- treatment-of-colorectal- cancer/
- The kidney test will indicate how your kidneys are performing by measuring levels of urea, creatinine, and eGFR. High levels of urea, creatinine and a low eGFR can indicate acute or chronic kidney disease.
Once the order is placed, Let’sGetChecked will ship you a little box with everything you need to take the test and return it.
The colon test requires a tiny sample of stool (Yuck, I know! But it’s a small sample!). The kidney and basic vitamin test requires a decent blood sample. They provide you with a tool to prick your finger and a vial to collect the blood sample. If you get woozy from the sight of blood- DO NOT order these tests. I am fine with blood so it was an easy process for me!
They send you a pre-addressed bag and all you have to do is drop the package off at UPS. I sent my tests back on Friday around lunch time and got my results back the next Tuesday via the online portal.
In addition, a nurse calls you to discuss your results.
In addition, a nurse calls you to discuss your results and available on your personal portal as well.
Here are my results:
- Your Faecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) test has returned as Negative. You have received a NEGATIVE Faecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) result. This means that a normal amount of blood was detected in your stool at the time of testing.
- Your Folate test has returned as Normal. You have received a NORMAL Folate test result. This means that your Folate level is within the normal range and indicates that you do not have a deficiency.
- Your Vitamin B12 test has returned as High. You have received a HIGH Vitamin B12 test result. This means that your Vitamin B12 level is higher than normal range. High B12 levels in the blood can stem from a number of different causes and should be investigated. You will have received a clear explanation from the LGC nursing support team.
- Your Urea test has returned as Normal. Your Urea test result has been reported as NORMAL. This means that your Urea test result is within the normal range.
- Your eGFR: Glomerular filtration rate test has returned as Normal. Your Glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) test results have been returned as NORMAL. This means that your Glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) test result has been returned within range.
- Your Creatinine test has returned as Normal. Your Creatinine test results have been returned as NORMAL. This means that your Creatinine test result has been returned within range.
As you can see my colon and kidney tests came back clear for me, however, one thing I was shocked about was that I was HIGH in B12. Listen to this everyone….I have been plant-based for a few months now. I was always told that plant-based people struggle to get enough B12… happy to know I am exceeding the limit, however, the nurse informed me that I may want to drop my supplement dosage because too much isn’t necessary! If you are vegan or vegetarian, I highly suggest you get the BASIC VITAMINtest to see where you are at!
Anyways, how cool is all of this!? I didn’t have to drive to the Doctor’s office, deal with all of the billing myself, and I was able to check my results and talk to a medical professional all in the comfort of my own home! This is a great option if you do not have health insurance and are unable to see the Doctor. Let’sGetChecked doesn’t even ask for health insurance information and you get to talk to a medical professional.
As mentioned earlier they have so many tests for STDs, hormonal testing, vitamins, and so much more!
PS- I will get a small commision for referring you over if you use my coupon code! 🙂